Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Atayal children in Nanao



photos by Mikael Owunna
I am so excited that part of my Fulbright project will focus on a new program I am developing with Mikael Owunna (Fulbright ETA) at Nan'ao elementary school. Nan'ao is in Eastern Taiwan and there is a large community of Atayal aboriginals living there near and in the mountains. Nan'ao Elementary school is 98% Atayal (see photos taken by Mikael and more at his website) and so far it seems the teachers, administrators, and community are very dedicated to supporting and fostering strong cultural identities. The program we are developing is definitely "in progress" because there are many perspectives we are trying to include (teachers, students, collaborators, my students at NTNU, colleagues, etc.,) but the main purpose is to use artistic and creative techniques to meaningfully engage Atayal children in an educational program that builds cultural pride, explores Atayal identities, families, and communities, and teaches children English language. Since I do not speak Atayal, I also see this as an opportunity for the students to share their language and teach me and others about their lives. Mikael has been teaching these children since August and is a talented photographer. I will bring my background in educational and school-based programs as well as my background and interest in art and ...well, hopefully karaoke! The students are also very interested in music and dance as well, so I'll have to better develop those skill areas. Our program will begin at the end of November and we will start with a focus on sharing life narratives using pictures and a blend of Atayal and English words.

1 comment:

  1. excuse me,can I use the photo from your website, cuz I am designing a poster with children theme for volunteer program. Thank you

    ReplyDelete